Built in 1927, the building had retail space on the main floor and a boarding
house on the upper floor. Al Hargrave bought the building in 1944 and opened a
drug store. Besides the pharmacy, the store was known for its old-fashioned soda
fountain, rotating hot peanut machine, wall of magazines and comic books, and
penny candy. Hargrave sold the building in 1971 to his competitors, Verlin and
Ken Allen. Since then, the building has housed an attorney’s office, an insurance
company, and a title insurance company.
Anne Hargrave Hand and Debbie Hargrave Masingill, daughters of Al Hargrave.